[Farmall] Restoration

Jerry Bossard jerry.bossard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:49:07 PDT 2011

I have a 1942 H with good paint but there are areas where the paint
has chipped off and now metal it exposed.  I just recently purchased
this tractor so I don't have much history, but I do know that it was
parked in a shed when not in use, even if it was only for an over
night.  There is little rust but I would like to make it parade ready.
I'm new to tractor restorations so any help would be appreciated.  I
am quite a DIY type of person.

Should I soda blast it to start over or just try to buff out the edges
and repaint?  I'd rather not sand blast because of all the damage it
does to the metal.  If the paint is original it will most likely be
lead paint?  If so, will soda blasting even take it off or will I have
no choice but to sand blast?

Secondly, when it comes to painting, do I powder coat it?  Should I
spray it on?  What type of paint would you suggest?  Would an exterior
"Rustoleum" product work or is that not a good idea.

Thanks,

Jerry