[Farmall] Restoration

Bob Currie tracturs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 21:11:31 PDT 2011

Jerry, you'll most likely get all kinds of suggestions when it comes to
metal preparation and the painting of a tractor. I would suggest removing
the old paint as there is probably deterioration under the painted surface
that you can't see, and the chipped off areas would have to be feathered out
and filled to build the surface back up.  First off, would you be taking the
tractor apart to clean, prep, and paint it, then re-assemble? If so, I
suggest stripping, or blasting, or wire brushing each part, appling a good
metal cleaner to the bare surface and then using a good epoxy primer. The
casted parts can be sand blasted or wire brushed without much fear of
damage.  I don't know much about soda blasting, but the stamped metal parts
should be done with more care. Again, a good coat of epoxy primer will serve
you well. If you plan to leave most of the tractor together and paint it as
a unit, then it becomes very important to protect all the electrical, fuel,
and any bearing, or moving parts so blasting materials or stripping agents
don't get in there and cause trouble. I would suggest using a good, solvent
based, enamel paint, and I would not recommend using Rustoleum.  Your local
Case IH  dealer or an automotive paint store will have the correct
"Harvester Red" for that tractor and they can educate you more about good
paint materials.  The biggest suggestion I would have is that the amount of
patience, preparation, (and money) you invest in this project, will dictate
the quality of your results. Best of luck.

bob currie,
Greenwood, CA