[AT] Actual antique tractor vegetable discussion

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 20:00:52 PDT 2011

When I was growing up in the '80s, everybody laid out tobacco patches with truck/fifth middles--usually the field started with two rows, then a truck middle (in other words they didn't plant that row as John mentions) then four rows, then a truck middle, etc.  The last rows are a truck middle and a set of two rows again.  With high clearance sprayers and larger equipment a lot of tobacco farmers (what few are left) are planting the tobacco solid with no skips--or they are planting as many as 8 rows between truck middles.

Al