[AT] OT - Wooden foundation vs Concrete?

Rupert rwenig2 at xplornet.com
Thu Apr 7 08:38:02 PDT 2011

Hello Mike,
	You didn't say where you live. The life span of wood
basements/foundations depends somewhat on the local. They last well in
my area ( Alberta, Canada). So do the pole type buildings that used
treated wood poles.
	Wood basements (as do concrete basements) need to be sealed properly on
the outside to prevent leaks. Also, weeping tile and washed rock need to
be installed around the outside to lead any water away. Proper sloping
of the ground is necessary too in all cases.
	My sister-in-law had to dig up along side the wood foundation on here
house which was build in 1978. The only problem that was found was due
to improper construction. There was no sign of rot anywhere. I helped
build a lot of pole buildings in the '70s. All are still in good shape.
The basement on my house was put in in '83. There is no sign of problems
so far.
	One big advantage a wood basement has over a concrete basement is
insulation. A wood basement is much warmer than a concrete basement
before you figure in the addition of any added insulation.
	The only problems I've heard of in this area were caused by improper
drainage around the outside and under the floor if the floor is also wood.
	Would I consider building a wood basement again? Definitely, as long as
the wood used is ACQ or WPF pressure treated. My out buildings which are
new since 2005 are all the pole type construction using laminated PWF
poles to 6 ft above ground. I expect them to last at least 40 years
unless a tornado or wind such as that comes along.

Rupert