[AT] Allis Chalmers B Question

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 2 04:32:22 PDT 2011

 I haven't followed all of this thread so I'll add my $.02 with apologies
regarding any info that I am repeating. You mention the plugs are firing,
that is no sign the mag is hot enough. Any magneto should be able to fire
the spark across a 1/4" gap. That is considered a minimum--a lot of "newer"
mags can hold 3/8-7/16 of spark. Take an old spark plug and open up the
spark gap wide (no more than a 1/4"--try in increments of 1/16") can and see
if the mag can jump that gap.
 I missed your original post so I am not certain about what suggestions to
throw out. Is this a running tractor that now refuses to crank or is this a
machine that has been taken all apart for a rebuild. If it was a running
machine, I'd just think you have lost fire or fuel, can't see it being much
else unless it has been sitting for many years and the compression is low.
If it is a rebuild project, the list of re-assembly errors is long.
If you don't get it cranked, re-post some background info on the machine
(I've already dumped the old posts).

Good Luck,
John Hall