[AT] EPA to require farmers be half as dusty

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 21 19:34:20 PDT 2010

This has been in the works for a while. What is interesting to note is how
clean the new diesels are going to be in about 3-4 years. Deere was running
a big add in Successful farming . There was also an article about the new,
cleaner diesels. Cat says new engines will have (I think) a 12% price
increase. Supposedly the new engines will be more fuel efficient as well.

The drawback to making  the farmer produce less dust is the mere fact that
farms probably use more older equipment than any other industry. I can't see
retrofitting a bunch of old equipment. Now if the regulation were passed on
to new machinery, such as emissions standards with cars, some progress might
be made. But how the heck you could even remove 5% of the dust a combine in
soybeans makes is beyond me. As for chemical drift, that burden will fall in
the lap of the chemical companies. After all, the farmer has to comply with
EPA regulations for each pesticide.

Maybe once the rules are proposed some wise bean-counter will add up how
much food will go up in price and then let the public decide if these laws
are really needed.

John Hall