[AJD] Hard starting - Update

Eric Walter eric at facspro.com
Sun Sep 12 07:22:13 PDT 2010

Well we went out the other day and first drained the gas and the fuel lines-
cleaned the sediment bowl and screen (pretty dirty) and cleaned the plugs --
added about 2 gals of fresh gas -- 2-3 turns and it fired right up.
While it was idling I added a bottle of HEET and Jacob took off down the
drive way and back. When he got back I was watching the sediment bowl and
there were literally globs of goo coming from the tank into the bowl and
settling in the bottom of the bowl. I thought maybe something wrong with the
HEET that I added since it was out of a case that has been in the barn for
10-15 years. When we drained the gas to begin with we drianed it into a
clear vegetable oil container so I grabbed another bottle of HEET and dumped
it in the clear container. Nothing-- mixed right in, couldnt tell it had
been added. While I was doing this- Jacob was back to putting up & down the
road-- he got about half way up the driveway and it died. Still had gas, but
couldnt get it started again. We finished our chores that we were doing (2
hours) and after a struggle & starting fluid were able to get it going. Back
to the barn and parked for a couple days. The next time I was out there I
just gave it a try -- couple turns and it seemed like it wanted to fire but
wouldnt quite catch.
Yesterday we went out to work on the '37 to try to get it running for the
parade next week. Got done tearing down the '37 and went to the '43 --
pulled the plugs and cleaned them (although in my experience with automobile
plugs I would hardly call them fouled). 2 turns and she fired right up.

I guess after this I would have to say that the plugs are the culprit. I'm
thinking I need to go to a Hotter plug but not sure what to go to.
Its got Champ W18's in it right now.
It also seems to have a slight backfire while driving so there may also be a
timing issue as Mark alluded to.
 We will be spending most of this week trying to get the '37 back together
and running. Needs some cooling system leaks repaired and getting a refurbed
Mag from Steve Belanger at MainelyMagnetos. Hoping the new mag will get it
running.

Well, now that I've made a short story long I had better get to work.
Just wanted to update the list. And also get an idea on plugs for it.

Eric -- ?? A
Jacob --  '37B
               '43B