[AT] tread design

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Sep 4 21:25:10 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "john hall" <jtchall at nc.rr.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:35 AM
Subject: [AT] tread design

> Got to thinking about tire tread design on my last post about sidehill
> combines. Back in the 70's and maybe 80's I remember seeing advertisements
> for Ford tractors with diamond style tread tires. Can't remember if they
> were on the front and back or just the front. I never saw another brand
> use that style of tread. These were big tractors--100+ hp. What was the
> reasoning for using that style of tire?
>
> John Hall

I have pictures of the bigger 90 series Case tractors with that style tread
on the front, but I doubt they were ever used on the rear wheels for field
work and heavy pulling. They'd likely fill up with mud and become useless.
Even the tractor lug style fill with mud these days with all the rain and
mud we have had this summer. I've spent the day trying to disk stubble (last
years) with the 2090 Case and its extremely frustrating. Its so muddy that
the disks plug with mud and stop turning. Many acres are just unworkable,
either under water or too muddy.

Ralph in Sask.

Ralph in Sask.