[AT] massey combines at portland

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 04:29:57 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:15 AM, charlie hill <charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> David I don't know if you looked at the video I posted the link for.  I was
> taken by the fact that they said the new Gleaner/M-F/Challenger combines
> would hold 350 bushels in the hopper.
> Until you think about that a bit it's no big deal but if you do the math,
> and depending on the crop, that's anywhere from 18,000 to 22,000 lbs up
> there in that hopper, 10' or more above the ground.  Thinking about all that
> weight up high on a side slope would make you pause and wonder how it is
> possible.   That's a lot of grain!  Also did you hear them say the auger
> will discharge  grain at 4 bushels a second!  It would take a fleet of
> tractor trailer to keep that thing working!
>
> Charlie

I usually describe my farm as "gently rolling". I only have one small
hill-side that is dangerously steep and I have placed it back into
permanent pasture. Actually I let some of the local Scouts use it as a
natural amphitheater about once a year. Back when it was part of a
grain field I would always make sure I combined it with an empty grain
tank. It still made me very nervous and even yet I am very cautious
when mowing it.
This farm used to be a lot rougher... It is absolutely amazing to me
how much 60 years of constant tillage, especially using implements
that dragged a lot of dirt along, have leveled it from what it was.
When we first moved here every field was divided by at least one
uncrossable gully. One then 20 acre field we had to farm in 3
sections. My father and I worked very hard for many years dozing those
in and having dirt that we could acquire for free hauled in to fill
them. Each year we would plow dirt in toward them by plowing those
areas on the contour. The county was beginning to pave all of the
roads back then and they would cut out the ditches first to make the
road a little wider. We got hundreds and hundreds of loads of that
dirt.
A few years ago I mentioned to a neighbor about how much the land had
flattened here and he had also been thinking about it. He recalled
that as a young boy there was a little hill / mound behind their barn
and he liked riding their old horse up that mound. Kind of a "King of
the hill" thing. :-) Now he cannot even find where that little hill
was.
This farm has kind of stabilized some now since I have a good bit of
it in horse pastures and the guy that farms the grain fields mostly
no-tills...

--

Be tolerant of almost everything but intolerance...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com