[Farmall] Questions and Parts? for Super A

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 30 15:20:29 PDT 2010

Drain any gear housings you think need changing. I'd leave the plug out for
a day or so. Then fill with diesel or kerosene and drive it just a little
bit, all you need to do is splash things around. Then drain and leave the
plug out until everything comes out. If it is really nasty when you flush
it, repeat the procedure. Unless you are going to be doing a bunch of seal
replacing, I'd use straight 140W grease. I think it helps with some of the
minor sweats/leaks.

The grease fitting in the gear box is most likely a bandaid since it
probably won't hold grease.  Pulling the steering gearbox is a pretty big
job--we rebuild them on the tractor, and it ain't easy.  If the only leak is
the seal where the steering shaft goes into the housing, thats not hard to
change. If the steering works OK and the tractor is just a "toy" you may
want to leave it alone.

What type of repair are you referring to on the right hand bull gear
housing?

John Hall