[Farmall] Ordered Super A Manuals!

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Sep 25 04:42:37 PDT 2010

When I was doing my most recent Cub "restoration" (a 1952 model that was
given to me), I ended up having to take the hood/tank off and on at
least half a dozen time. Since the tank was empty, I got so I could get
it off and have access to virtually everything in that area in just a
few minutes, which was convenient. Knowing the efforts to drive down the
cost of the tractor, I assume that having the hod and tank as one piece
saved money over having it two pieces. I suspect also that using the
round head screws was a choice by the IH engineers as an appearance
issue - you rarely find any exposed hex heads on IH sheet metal. I found
that they were no problem as long as I used a large screwdriver with a
blade that fit the slots well. I am not saying that it was the best
choice of hardware from an engineering standpoint, but I have seen worse
on other machinery.

As far as those bolts on the back of the oil pan, I have found that I
can deal with them with relative ease using the right combination of
sockets and extensions. If I thought about it, I guess I would replace
those bolts with either socket head Allen or Torx head screws.

<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/>

Mike