[AJD] Help!

Eric Walter eric at facspro.com
Fri Sep 17 22:43:42 PDT 2010

Anyone out there tonight?

Here is the situation-- Jacob's '37 B -- when he bought it someone said it wasn't firing on the right cylinder-- disconnected plug wire and it ran-- not good but it ran
Suspected a stuck valve as oil was blowing out the breather when she backfired --
Been trying to get it running for a parade tomorrow (now today / Saturday)
Repaired some cooling system leaks -- pulled the valve cover -- looked to me like a valve was sticking in the left cylinder -- PB Blaster and some soft blows and as I rotate the flywheel all valves appear to be moving (I am 90% positive that when I first took off the cover and rotated the flywheel the lh cylinder valve toward the middle of the head wasn't moving)-
Received a new Magneto from Belangers Next day air this morning -- put it on -first time I think it was 180* out pulled it and rotated 180* and timed the impulse. It took a few turns but it finally fired up -- it was a backfiring bi%ch but it was running-
Jacob drove it around a bit and I tinkered with the idle and load trying to get rid of the backfiring -- after about an hour of running it she ran out of gas-- after filling it back up we couldn't get it to fire for love nor money -- we cranked it- we swapped plugs we pulled it we sprayed starting fluid in the cylinders we cranked it some more --pulled it some more and nothing -- it didnt even act like it wanted to fire -- then we took a 5 hour break (had to go deliver pizza for a while)
At 9 oclock we got back at it-- added more fuel (thought I might have overdone the MMO) cranked for 30 minutes after swapping plugs again-- they were damp-- not soaked -- thought I would check the spark again and stuck a screwdriver in the plug wire end on the LH Cylinder- I cranked it a couple times while trying to see a spark and she tried to fire-- a few more cranks w/the LH plug wire just hanging and she fired -- ran it for 30-45 minutes while we got her on the trailer and shut her down.

We are getting up early to get to the parade area and I think we still have a timing issue --- What thinks You??

Eric ??44 A
Jacob '37B
          '44B