[AT] Jim Dandy Question/net orders

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:42:01 PDT 2010

Conversationally speaking, Larry, my favorite comment is that we are 20
miles from everything.  We have a few run of the mill locally owned
businesses, but no chain operations in the village, except for banks.  The
local merchants work real hard to make sure that Wally world and the rest do
not locate here.  The mower/tractor dealer from whom I bought my Exmark with
the Kohler engine sold out and the new owner closed it down in after a
couple of years.  That was 12 or 14 miles from home, so not a bad trip.  Now
Exmark is at least 25 miles away.  We do have two  (make that three) lawn
and garden dealers within five miles that sell other brands.  I needed a
filter for the drive system on the zero turn this summer as it was past due
to be changed.  Warnings are given in the owners manual about not doing a
change more than necessary due to the risk of dirt contamination in the
system.  Long story short, I crossed the Exmark filter # to  Ferris and
found they use it on several of their units.  I went and bought from the
local Ferris guy for just about 50% more than the internet $$$ for the same
filter.  When the owner picked the filter from stock, it was a plain white
filter with the number on it in marking pencil.  No wrapper.  No cap on the
open end.  When questioned, the statement was "That is just the way Ferris
sends them to us."  I took it and used it but had my doubts.  What happened
to dirt contamination??  The items mentioned in my earlier post were all
sealed in wrapper and were clearly marked genuine Kohler.  Even the two
Champion spark plugs were in Kohler boxes and the prices were almost the
lowest I could find.  With USPS flat rate shipping, the were on my doorstep
in two days, from Oregon.

In a nutshell I seriously now think I prefer internet purchases for many of
the items I require.  I can shop freely from home, choose the seller, place
the order, then relax until the day after tomorrow when the package
arrives.  I will say that I do not buy from any company that does not have a
psychical address on their web sight.  This entire situation is similar to a
return to the Sears Catalog days from years past. (grin)

Charlie V. in WNY