[AT] Jim Dandy Question

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Thu Sep 16 08:30:53 PDT 2010

Bob sounds like the needle valve (float valve) is not a letting gas into the
carburetor. Probably have to open the carburetor up and do a good cleaning
job.

A few weeks ago the Honda engine on my son's pressure washer would run if a
small amount of gasoline was sprayed into the throat of the carburetor when
that fuel was burned the engine would die. No fuel through the needle valve
was what I found.

After a complete disassembly of the carburetor and finding every passage was
clogged by the wonderful unleaded gasoline. (the unit had been setting for
about two years without being run.) I called the local Stens distributor and
with real sticker shock found that I could buy a brand new carburetor from
Honda for less than $16.00.  Did that and now the engine runs like a champ.
The shock was that for the most part Honda engine parts are normally priced
high high. Needle, seat and gasket from the normal parts list cost more.

Enough said the engine should have been stored with Stable (sp) in the fuel.

Should not be a biggie for you to remove and clean the carburetor as most of
the older units are tough, and pretty easy to work on.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA=and proud of it.