[AT] Reactions to pictures posted from Portland

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Sep 15 20:59:48 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Vinson" <dean at vinsonfarm.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Reactions to pictures posted from Portland

> I have to chuckle at narrow-front tractors being considered "strange"...
> having grown up around farms in western Ohio and Indiana, where corn and
> soybeans have long been the big crops,> Cockshutt was a Canadian
> manufacturer I believe.  They were the featured
> tractor at the Portland show in 1997, from whence I took one of my
> favorite
> tractor photos:
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/Cockshutt_row_Portland_97.jpg.  The
> Cockshutt 30 was one of the first tractors with live PTO if I remember my
> history correctly, and I think all from that era are fine looking and
> well-built machines.

Thats a nice line up of Cockshutt tractors Dean . And I think you may recall
I have  a couple of working Cockshutts on the farm that belonged to my Dad.
Just the opposite here regarding narrow front and standard tread (western
special) tractors. As a kid I recall seeing the odd Farmall M with narrow
front but it was a rare thing. Some narrow fronts (like my Uncle's DC3 Case)
were converted to wide front as it was considered more stable , and we
really had no use for a narrow front tractor in the big open fields. No row
crops here.
I might have already posted this picture but its one of my favourites so
heres my 40 again, taken this summer after I'd sprayed a little red paint on
the hood.
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/142_165/24_161/40RedHood-vi.jpg

Ralph in Sask.