[AJD] Hard starting - Update

Mark Johnson mark.s.johnson at pixius.net
Sun Sep 12 11:49:36 PDT 2010

Short story long...nah, that's just a good shadetree mechanic story. Sounds
like
you're making progress, though.

Heet is just anhydrous isopropyl alcohol and I don't think it will 'go bad'
unless
the seals are broken, although it might become less effective because it has
already
absorbed some water - it works because it allows water to mix in with the
combined
gasoline/alcohol solution instead of separating out at the bottom.

[the plastic bottles that Heet comes in are ever-so-slightly permeable to
moisture,
so if the stuff has been sitting in an outdoor shed for years, a little bit
of water might
get into it]

I think if you get the goo out of the gas tank and change the plugs to the
next heat
range you may solve this one, although the possibility of timing problems is
still there.
If I remember my spark-plug science correctly, you may want a hotter plug if
you don't
work the engine very hard most of the time, to keep them from fouling.

Mark J
'40 H
Shadetree diagnoser and fixer of small problems - I'm often wrong, but never
in doubt!