[Farmall] how to check a ta on a Farmall 400

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Sep 12 03:42:28 PDT 2010

The only way I know is to operate it. While the tractor is moving,
simply pull back on the lever all the way, not touching the clutch
pedal. The tractor's ground speed should immediately drop almost in half
with no sounds or vibrations coming from anywhere. Releasing the lever
forward should immediately and smoothly increase the ground speed to
where it was. The TA works the same regardless of the transmission, but
the difference in speed is most noticeable at the higher speeds, so try
it in 2nd or 3rd. Generally speaking (from experience) the TA either
works or it doesn't - nothing in between. If the seller suggests that
"it just needs adjustment", I would be concerned, as all the adjustments
do is determine the position of the lever when the TA engages.

Mike