[AT] Interesting farm sale

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 7 12:01:48 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Dotson" <gdotsly at watchtv.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Interesting farm sale

>    Ralph;
>
>    Must be no bottom to the ground there. Our heavy subsoils would not let
> the machines sink that deep. Guess there is some redeeming value to the
> hardpan yellow clay layer.
>
>                    Gene

Gene, we have yellow clay here too, usually about 6 inches below the
surface. When its this wet it does not matter too much as even the clay will
pull you down. Strangely enough I have some spots in the field where I could
drive through water with the tractor and disker without sinking more than a
few inches. I'm afraid it will be a different story with the combine or
grain truck once they get some weight on them. I just heard today that one
of the hottest selling items is grain carts. Some even being imported from
south of the border when supplies ran out here. A big 4 WD tractor on one of
these carts stands a better chance of not getting stuck than a single axle
or even a tandem grain truck.
Suns shining now but more rain is predicted for Thursday. The fat lady has
not yet sung. :-)

Ralph in Sask.