[AJD] Hard starting

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 13:08:24 PDT 2010

Assuming that compression is good and the fuel is fresh, hard starting is
usually caused by weak ignition.  First place to look there is a bad
condenser.  Also check points being clean and free of corrosion where the
point's frame meets the plate on which it is fastened.  Corrosion there can
cause a bad ground connection.  Check the points contacts for being clean
and free of any oxide and then properly adjusted.  After you have gone
through all of that, and still don't have a hot spark, re-charge the magnet
in the magneto.  Weak magnets are notorious for putting out poor spark at
cranking speeds.  Good HT wires are a must.

Bill Salisbury