[AT] massey combines at portland

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Fri Sep 3 19:54:32 PDT 2010

John,

The North Wilkesboro area has some "interesting" fields for sure.
Ours aren't quite as bad (about 40 miles SE) however there is one here
(now part of the pasture) that my grandpa grew corn and soybeans on.
Still causes me a severe case of butt clinch when I drive a tractor over
part of it (and I only go up and down).
Another of those Hilly fields was the tobacco field where I first drove
the AC D-14.  I was too small to depress the clutch and brakes so I
would press the clutch, shift to neutral then press the brakes.  Made
for interesting stopping on those hills.

I remember years ago picking apples and peaches at an orchard in SW VA
(the owner would let us pick our own and sometimes he and his kids would
help) - those were some steep hills.

Most combines here are the usual but with narrow headers.  A few are the
sidehill type.

David
NW NC