[Farmall] Replacement bolt for 340U fast hitch needed

br549 at hemc.net br549 at hemc.net
Fri Sep 3 04:44:06 PDT 2010

I was able to find my copy of the Operators Manual and Installation Instructions for the "Three-Point Fast-Hitch with Tel-A_Depth and Traction
Control for McCormick Farmall 340 and International 340 Utility Tractors" (now that is a mouthful). On page six I found a picture of the part that
needs replacing on my tractor and it is called the "Bail Pivot Bracket". It is also listed as part "J" on page 17.

What happended is the pivot ball is worn so much that it is able to move in and out of the "Stop Plate". My problem is one of the bolts for Bail
Pivot Bracket has rounded corners and I can't fix the problem without removing the bolt (I had purchased a complete 340 Fast Hich system for parts
last winter).

Thes bolts are described as "3/4NC x 1-3/4-inch cap screws... tighten to 370-420 foot-pounds torque."

I have removed two of these but at that torque rating, it is no wonder I have had this much difficulty.

Hope this additional info helps to clarify my problem and needs.

Thanks to everyone that is looking into this for me.

Best,

Bryan

We had a 460 w/ a Fast Hitch, this area is a very weak point on the hitch
system. You don't mention the reason for working in this area. We lived in SENY
with lots of rocks and shale, with a 3 bottom mounted spring trip plow as well
as running a 45 Baler, this resulted in the bolts working loose and eventually
wearing out the mounting?holes. The final solution was to build a frame around
the hitch mount and bolt it to the holes in the side of the transmission housing
that has lasted to this day. If the holes are still good and everything?is?OK I
would reinstall w/ grade 8 bolts, (they won't streach and loosen up), as well as
using HD lock washers and loctite,?torque to 220 to 240 FT/LBS.?You may have to
ask around to find a supplier that would have grade 8 bolts but there would be
some in any area. Tractor Supply has Grade 8 but I don't know if it would be in
the 3/4 size. If there is a history of these coming loose-?you will have your
work cut out for you as the holes are probably worn and will not hold a bolt
tight.
?Barney Van De Weert
3828 Heartwood St
Uniontown OH 44685

bbvande at yahoo.com
Cell# 330-760-5988

________________________________

There are several 3/4" bolts called out on the drawing for the Fast
Hitch in the 330/340/340U parts manual. They are associated with the
Drawbar stabilizer brace, if that is what you are describing. The bolts
don't have part numbers, so it would appear that IH just replaced them
with regular bolts. The two sizes are 2" long on the left side and
2-1/2" long on the right side. I suppose you could always drill them out
for wire if necessary.

Contact me off-line at <mikesloane at verizon.net> if you want me to send
you a .pdf copy of the appropriate parts manual pages.

Mike