[AT] Scary "wreck" but no damage

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 19:14:46 PDT 2010

I guess while discing, trash must have tore out the clip out of my hitch
pin.  I push them all the way to the ring, so it's harder for them to
pop out, but not impossible.  I was transporting the disc home, down a
fairly steep hill on our gravel road, the hill was washed out and had
cross ruts from the last rain.  After several loud crashes and lurches
on the tractor, I realized I'd lost or broke the hitch pin.  The disk,
being in transport position, caught up with the tractor, tongue between
the rear wheels and frame under the 3pt. arms and against the rear
tires.  I had slowed to idle, way slower than normal, because it was rough.

I was able to steer off to the right, then lower the disk, it rolled a
few feet, then cut enough to stop.  I rolled away and let the hyd. lines
pull out of the disconnects.  I got off, checked things out, other than
a few paint scratches and maybe some chunks out of a pretty old tire, no
damage....  No trace of the hitch pin.

So, I backed up, hooked back on with another pin and went on home to do
laundry  :-)