[AT] Starting in the Cold

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 30 17:32:07 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sloane" <mikesloane at verizon.net>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Starting in the Cold

6 volt systems can have problems in cold weather. The battery voltage
drops about one volt for every 10° drop in temperature below about 60°.
So the critical thing is to either keep the battery warm or fully
charged. Folks used to remove their battery and keep in indoors at
night, while others placed an old quilt over it and put a trouble light
next to it.

The biggest six volt battery you can fit on the tractor will also help. Many
years ago we got away from using the puny little car batteries that were
originally intended to start the Cockshutt tractors. Of course the big
replacements will not fit the original battery case so I had to make a
bigger battery tray but its been worth it. I believe the battery is a class
7D but maybe they have a new classification system now. Anyway, its big and
will crank the six cylinder engine over no matter if it is -30 or so. These
tractors also were very hard to start if you happened to shut down (or
stall) the engine hot. The little car battery would hardly turn the engine
over but the big diesel battery will handle it.

Ralph in Sask.