[AT] Lost list mail

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 29 18:42:45 PDT 2010

Charlie & others who experience lost list messages:

If you read your email using an email client on your local machine (Outlook,
Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc) you are probably expecting
*all* the mail that comes to your mailbox on the server to be delivered to
your client when you connect to the server.  This was the standard for most
of the history of email.

Nowadays, however, many of the Internet/email service providers are giving
us extra mail "services" that are managed *at the mailbox*.  Such services
have default settings that your client won't even know exist, much less be
able to manage.  One of the major services is spam filtering.  There are
some others.  You may have to log onto the email service via their web page
in order to see the services and configure the settings that now govern
which mail is actually sent to your email client.

I stumbled on this several months ago.  I've had the same email account for
a long time and always managed all my email on my desktop computer.  I've
received the nice messages telling about the expanded services but ignored
them because I didn't need the services.  One day I decided to log into my
email account via the web page just to make sure I could if I needed to.  I
found a large number of "lost" emails sitting in the spam folder, including
some from the ATIS list.  I didn't even know I had a spam folder on the
server.  Why were some regarded as spam while most weren't?  I don't know,
but none of those messages were ever going to be sent to my computer.  I had
to override the default settings to stop anything from going to the spam
folder or being stopped by any other filtering.

I don't like others deciding what I don't need to see.  You might want to
check & make sure you aren't being taken care of in this way.

Bill Bruer
Murfreesboro, TN
bill_bru at bellsouth.net