[Farmall] Farmall Super A

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Fri Oct 29 07:00:33 PDT 2010

I use the copper spray on head gaskets. It 's supposed to be better for
heat transmittal between the block and the head. It also give you a little
something extra that helps take care of any minor irregularities with the
block or the head. Make sure you torque the bolts in the correct order and
to the correct value. I usually torque the bolts in three steps so that I
get an even torque on all the bolts. On the first pass torque to about
half the value, on the second torque to some value just under the required
torque ( 5-10 ft-lbs less than required), on the third pass torque to the
required value.

Before you do anything, use a flat edge to check the block and head for
any warpage. Place the straight edge in several locations and in multiple
directions on both. Try to slip a feeler gauge under the straight edge at
several points each time you put the straight edge against the block or
head to see if you have any problems to worry about. No amount of sealer
is going to work if there's too much warpage on either part. There may not
have been any leakage before you disassembled the engine, but that doesn't
mean everything is nice and flat. When you relieve the pressure on the
head by removing the head bolts, it can spring due to built up tensions
from all the heat that its seen during operation. It's nice if you can get
your hands on a flatness gauge like the pros use.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.