[AJD] Where to buy governor weights? - 1953 50 running again after 20-some years

David Ransom davidhenryransom at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 21:26:38 PDT 2010

This fall, I got back to the John Deere 50 and got it running.  The radiator
leaks, the thermostat is stuck in the position that holds the radiator
shutters open, the brake adjusters are very stuck, the fuel shutoff doesn't
seem to work all that well, and the left exhaust valve leaks a little, but
it did run, and I drove it around a little.

While I was driving it, the engine seemed to speed up faster than it should
have for where I had the throttle lever, so I pulled the spark plug wires to
stop it.  The governor to carburetor linkage had come off the governor.  I
put it back on and tried to start the engine (by hand with a socket ratchet
on the clutch drive disk bolt).  The crankshaft wouldn't turn.  I was afraid
something terrible had happened.  I put it in sixth gear and rocked the back
wheel, and that freed it up for one revolution of hand cranking.  I removed
the crankcase top cover, the spark plugs, and rocker arms cover, and saw
nothing obviously wrong.  I put it in reverse and moved it out of the road
by turning the clutch drive disk bolt backwards.  I could hear a clicking
sound from the governor / magneto area.  Had I been turning the crankshaft
forwards, I would have thought it was the magneto clicking, but I don't
think the magneto clicks when turned backward, and I could see the governor
to carburetor linkage bouncing up and down with each click, so I took the
innards out of the governor and found the problem.  Somehow the arms on the
governor weights had gotten past the thrust bearing, and the weights had
gotten all smashed up against the governor housing.

As far as I can tell, the only problem (other than the metal from the
smashed weights splattered around the inside of the governor housing) is
that the weights are smashed up and the arms on the weights are bent out.
So, I figured I could clean the inside of the housing, replace the weights,
change the oil, and get it running again.

I was surprised at the cost of replacement weights.  I saw a used pair on
eBay for $100.00 + $9.00 shipping.  The local John Deere dealer wants
$115.00 for each weight.  Is there any less expensive place to get them, or
is that what I should expect to pay for them?

Also, what should I do to make sure the new weights don't wind up like the
old ones?