[AT] Little OT-trailer wheels

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu Oct 21 16:13:59 PDT 2010

Lew, glad to hear that the painful and unhappy experience had a silver
lining! Best of luck on recovery, everyone I know that has had a hip
replacement has recovered quickly and been better afterward if they lost any
of their excess weight.
     I looked back at Charlie's trailer comment that you responded to in the
email and it reminded me of an experience of mine. I bought a tractor down
in McFarland at an auction that was newer and larger than any I had at the
time (this was back in 1984 as I recall). At the time, I did not yet have my
1986 F250 diesel and its power and hauling capacity and I knew my tilt
trailer of the time could not haul the 9,000 pounds. So I rented a trailer
from a buddy and set off with the old 71 F100. The trailer weighed about the
same as the truck and it had three axles, one of which we had to chain up
because the buddy did not have the time to order a new tire and get it
installed before that day started (none available locally that day....) I
drove down through the hills and valleys including going over the Paso
Robles pass to the Central Valley and got the tractor. On my return trip
after 40 miles, I stopped and tried to put more air in the tires on the
trailer unsuccessfully because the service station could only pump air
pressure to the 45 pound range. I decided that I was going to be traveling
pretty slowly as the truck's official tow capacity was around 7,000 pounds
and I was pulling about 13,000#.
     To make a very long trip a short story... as I was traveling highway 46
back to the pass, I was able to go about 40-45 miles per hour on the
smoother sections of the two lane road and only had a lengthy line behind
me. Then the climb started. Please keep in mind that this pass is rather
gentle and very low in comparison to the other passes I more normally take
to and from the central valley. As the climb became more noticeable,
unsurprisingly the truck slowed (worn out truck with somewhat tired
Automatic Transmission) and the last nearly 3/4 mile I was traveling at
barely 3 miles per hour on the wide shoulder. I was honestly convinced that
if I stopped the truck would never move again! LOL. At one point a Highway
Patrol cruiser came up to me, paced me in the slow lane (next to me on the
shoulder) and opened his window and yelled if my truck was ok.... I yelled
back that as long as I did not stop I hoped to make it up the grade. He
shook his head and took off rapidly.
     Well, I did make it up the grade, I didn't crash going down the 62mph
(!!!) straight slope on the other side or on any other grades and eventually
I got back to the ranch with the tractor intact and myself intact as well. I
was a LOT younger back then, not sure if that experience added or subtracted
years from my life span! But the whole trip was with axle number 3 of the
trailer chained up. Also, after the trip I did a valve job on the tired 300
cubic inch six cylinder engine and that helped some.
     Well, maybe another experience recounted in an email some other time.
              Grant Brians
              Vegetables, Nuts and Fruits Farmer
              Hollister,California