[AT] Tips needed on best non-expensive paint to paint my Olivers

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 15 20:12:33 PDT 2010

Years ago the fellow that painted my Mustang told me something I have found
quite true:
$10 worth of primer and $90 worth of paint will give you a $10 paint job.
$90 worth of primer and $10 worth of paint will give you a $100 paint job.

I'm not experienced enough to use the fancy stuff but we do try to get the
tractor as clean as possible and apply a good coat of primer--2-3 coats on
the sheet metal. Working on just a few pieces at a time I often use spray
can primer. The last I bought was Dupli-color and it has lasted well. I have
found that some of the high-build formulas work well on cast iron to smooth
them out and give a shinier finish.

The last tractor we painted was dad's Cub, posted some pics on the ATIS
forum.

John Hall