[AT] Horsepower Question

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 16:20:21 PDT 2010

Dave-
I don't know, I have never tried it.  Meltdown is perhaps a term I used with
a bit too much visual impact.  It would probably just have bearing seizure
and distortion, maybe with a synthetic oil the engine would eventually run
hot enough to approach meltdown.
They are rated as "Peak HP" for a reason, you can't expect them to produce
it continuously!  If you do, the waste heat and commensurate temperature
rise due to their inability to shed enough heat is the issue.  If it wasn't,
the manufacturers would rate them even higher.  Even tractor engines can be
driven hard enough to overheat, but we usually see the radiator blow off and
it stops us.  You don't get that clue with an air-cooled engine.

Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST