[AT] Pumpkins galore

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Oct 10 06:34:54 PDT 2010

They tell me that the leaves are turning up in the Buffalo area,
Charlie. We had our first frost here in NW NJ last night. I had cut the
grass near the wetlands across from the barn with the Int. 240U
yesterday, and this morning it was sheet of white. But none of the
higher elevations showed any sign of frost. It was 34° when I went up to
the village for Sunday papers, but they say it will be in the low 70s by
this afternoon. The walnut trees are shedding their leaves, but we had
NO walnuts this year, which is the opposite of the last few years. The
maple trees are just starting to turn, and I will be getting out the gas
leaf blower that I dragged home from town clean-up in April. It wouldn't
start when I got it (which explains why it was being thrown out), but I
found out that the backing plate on the crankcase was loose (resulting
in no vacuum to pull the fuel through to the combustion chamber). I
tightened the screws, put it all back together, added some fuel/oil, and
it fired right up.

I don't usually bother to fuss with the antifreeze in the tractors that
are only used in the summer. If they don't pass the test, I just drain
them out into 5-gallon pails for the Winter, then fill them back up in
the Spring. That is probably not the recommended practice, but it works
for me.

Mike