[AT] Horsepower Question

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 16:38:40 PDT 2010

Dave-
I only check personal email once a day so I am a bit slow in answering.
In order to control end cost, the cooling of these small lawnmower engines
are not designed for cooling more than the average anticipated load.  The 20
HP rating is for peak horsepower, which it might be able to produce for a
few minutes without the engine getting too hot.  However, if you run it
continuous at the peak HP its temperature will quite rapidly rise past the
design temperature limit.  At that point it is just getting worse faster as
the temperature goes up the oil breaks down and the friction increases and
To produce peak HP you are requiring a higher throttle setting than the
continuous load rating in order to get more fuel into the cylinder -- which
produces proportionally more waste heat.  These engines might be able to
continuously provide 10 HP (maybe less) because usually no more than that is
needed.  There is enough mass in the block to absorb additional heat for a
short period, but then the block's temperature starts to rise fast due to
its limited cooling area.  No problem for a short period, but continuous
full production at maximum short term rating will cause failure due to
temperature induced bearing and piston failure.  They are aluminum after
all.  If you want to try this, do it on a real cool day because on a hot day
it will be over quickly.
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST