[AT] Horsepower Question

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 07:04:56 PDT 2010

RPM is a main factor..

I recall Allis Chalmers increased their hp from 18 to 20 with the same engine by increasing the RPM by 10%.

Also I believe that HP on the tractors is measured at the PTO and at the tow bar. Of course the PTO hp is usually the higher value. I believe the mowers measure HP right at the crankshaft, so the playing field is not always equal...

A calculation I found on the net: HP = Torque x Engine Speed) / 5252

So, lets say a one Cylinder engine the Torque is constant at 71.5 then running at 1500 rpm

HP = 71.5 x1500/5252
HP = 20hp (rounded)

Now, double the speed to 3000 rpm

HP = 71.5x3000/5252
HP = 40hp (rounded)

Double your speed, double your HP.

Two Equal Cylinders running twice as fast as Four cylinders should be equal...

I'm sure someone has a more scientific answer, but I think I'm close.

Regards,

Will

I recall that measurement of the mower