[AT] Horsepower Question

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 6 07:00:28 PDT 2010

Ben,  the lawn mower engine is rated in gross hp with no drive train load.
The tractor engine is rated at net hp, either at the wheels or the PTO.
There may well be some fudging on the lawn mower engine as well.  Also, HP
is torque in ft/lbs.  times RPM.  You can make hp with high rpms and low
torque or high torque and low rpm.   Your tractor is high torque and low
rpm.  that is what allows it to move a load easily.

Charlie