[AT] OT--truck wheel torque

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 6 07:28:38 PDT 2010

You're right, Howard.  It was the center nut on a VW camper that had to be torqued so high.  I made a special spanner that was the correct length (and carried it with me) so I could check it "on the road" if necessary.  I've always been "over weight," so I made it the correct length so all I had to do was put the wrench on the nut and step on the handle to get the right torque.

When I worked at the Case/IH dealership, one of the things that was emphasized was that all the lug nuts on every tractor had to be loosened and retorqued so the wheels would relax and straighten themselves back out before delivery to a new owner.  They don't take the time to do that at the factory.  It is particularly important to do that on zero turn machines so the tire seals on the rim like it should, and the owner gets a smooth ride.  You don't guess at that process, and you don't use an air wrench.

Larry