[AT] OT--truck wheel torque

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Oct 5 20:23:55 PDT 2010

the manufacturers recommemdations are in most of the service manuals and may
be in the owners manual.  Later models are different from the old ones.
Some actually have a disc washer that keeps tension on the wlheel.  They
should also abe tightened again after a few thousand miles.  A 4 ft pipe on
the wrench is entirely too tight in my opinion.  I tightened my old 2 ton
chevy and ford trucks with my old impact wrench for years and it was a 250
ft lb rated impact wrench.  I never had a wheel come loose hauling wheat,
hay or cattle.  I also use never seize on all my lug nuts to help lubricate
where the nut seats on the wheel. It makes a lot of difference when you have
to remove them.  The wheel studs I coat with never seize also.  I use it on
all my tractors and vehicles.  I ahve not had a wheel come off because of
it, but when I have to take off a wheel on the side of the road, it sure
saves my arm...

Cecil in OKla