[Farmall] Water in the gas

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 15:35:19 PDT 2010

  On 10/4/2010 1:10 PM, Tim Savelle wrote:
> I recently replaced the gas tank on my 1949 H.  My main problems have been
> paint flecks and water in the gas.  I thought I had drained the tank and
> cleaned everything out enough times to get past all this, but I'm having a
> persistent problem with water.  I've had to remove the sediment bowl several
> times and drain out the water.  Yesterday I completely drained the gas tank,
> took a siphon and removed residual liquid from the bottom of the tank as
> best I could, and then filled it completely full of gasoline...all the way
> to the top.  Today I still see 2 layers in the sediment bowl (see link below
> for pics).
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/113549674996528953543/Farmall?feat=directlink
>
> Doesn't seem like there would be enough condensation in the gas tank to
> cause this much water, and I wouldn't think there would be significant water
> in the gasoline from the gas stations (I've bought gas from 2 different
> stations, Shell and Texaco, with the same result).
>
> Any thoughts on what might be going on here, or suggestions from anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Hard to tell from the pictures.  On my screen it looks more like an
air/fluid interface than gas/water.  Is the bowl completely full?
Assuming it is full, only condensate or contaminated fuel seem possible
sources of water.  I have no experience with "gasohol" or whatever they
call present ethanol-containing blends.  Perhaps someone with experience
can comment on these blends.

Years back you could buy antifreeze for gasoline that was intended to
prevent gas lines freezing in cold climates.  I believe it was probably
mostly alcohol and made the water miscible with gasoline.  Might be
worth a try if still available.  I haven't needed it since moving to the
southwest.