[AT] Who can apply for this? - a LONG dissertation on ROPS, old tractors and engineering/physics!

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Fri Oct 1 15:33:14 PDT 2010

The problem with comparing loader attachment with a roll-over usage is both
in the nature and quantity of the weight impacts. A loader in relative terms
is a static load applied slowly. By this I mean that the quantity of weight
is limited both by bucket size and hydraulic cylinder lifting capacity. The
absolute limit for weight would be the hydraulic cylinder capacity, but the
practical limit to weight would be whatever fits physically on/in what is
attached to the tractor. A typical loader will lift no more than 2000 pounds
and even with generated torques of position, there is little if any shock
load to the components of the loader. If there are particularly weak spots
in the design of the tractor (such as where the Isuzu engine block attaches
to the bell housing of a Massey Ferguson 1180 - I speak from experience on
this one...) then the stresses are generally concentrated in that spot. So,
typically the loader shocks only occur when moving and are hardest on places
where diffferent parts of the tractors are connected.
     In the case of a ROPS, the measurements are different. The ROPS must
not deform for a certain period of time (long enough for the operator to
"fall" and not have their head in the position where the ROPS would deform
to) and then support the full weight of the tractor in an inverted position
from a shock loaded impact point. In short, the amount the ROPS must take in
shock load is equal to the momentum of the tractor plus the weight of the
tractor times its speed. Clearly this is a much larger load than the weight
of the tractor.
     An interesting story illustrating this relates to an engineering
"stunt" pulled by my favorite car company in 1935. The 1935 models were the
first of the larger car makers in the industry to have an all steel roof and
roof structure on a full car line. So, first to test the design and then
later for advertising purposes the engineers turned over their new cars and
loaded them on top of the roofs of identical model studebaker cars. Picture
a mirror image as in a photo trick! Then they drove the right side-up cars
around at the Studebaker test track for the cameras. In this manner they
pioneered consumer acceptance of a steel, not wood and fabric roof for the
non-convertible cars. Up to this time all of the major car makers were using
coachwork techniques for their passenger car roofs because they were the
traditional thing to do and had been cheaper prior to the general time
period. But Steel technology had evolved to the point where the all-steel
designs became mass-production practical and this was the sales pitch to get
customers to buy them - safety.
     So there is the antique reference in this whole discussion! Also, when
I flipped my Caterpillar D4 many years ago, a ROPS would not have helped as
the disk behind it and the low center of gravity were what stopped the
tractor from going over onto me - I released the hand clutch and jumped
clear in case it were to flip further than the 90 degrees it turned over. I
suppose the 2mph speed could also have helped?