[AT] Off Topic, Meyers versus Western Snow Plows on 1985 F250?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Nov 30 07:11:29 PST 2010

I can't say which is "better" - that is really an individual conclusion.

I used to plow my two mile dirt lane and several driveways with a
tractor, but sitting on a tractor seat in a puddle of melted snow with
my nose running wasn't a fun way to spend my time. I went through a few
trucks over the year, but now I have a new Toyota Tundra with automatic
transmission and Fisher plow. I have to say that sitting in a heated cab
with a hot mug of coffee, "joystick" controller in hand, and a music CD
playing is a lot more enjoyable than riding the tractor in the middle of
the night. I still use the tractor (a Ford 860 with rear mounted blade)
to clean up, as I can back right up to a garage/barn door and pull the
snow away, something that a truck mounted plow cannot do very well.

One of my trucks was an '85 F350 mason dump with the IH 6.9L diesel, and
I have to say that, while it was much better than a tractor, the noise
of the diesel and poor rear visibility (as well as a marginal heater)
was less than optimal. The truck finally just gave up - cab rust, frame
rust, brake line rust, power steering failure, bad front end, etc., and
I was not at all sorry to see it go out on the back of a salvage yard
roll-back. On the other hand, the 8' Western plow never let me down
(although it used to take me an hour to mount it). The new Fisher
mounting arrangement is much easier/quicker to engage, but I am not at
all thrilled with the new "bottom trip" arrangement.

Mike