[AT] Flat bed trucks

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 15:31:45 PST 2010

We've got an F-250 at work that we put a steel flat bed on. We didn't change
the rear-end but did order a set of duals for it to help with stability.
Also added a set of "west-coast" mirrors.

As far as wood beds, what's wrong with a SOLID wood bed? We've had 2
different 1 ton Fords on the farm here since 1962. Both had wood beds with
wood crossmembers--the only steel is the bolts and angle iron braces. The
thing is, you can't go build it out of the junk they sell at Lowes. Ours
were both made from Oak. We have never had to repair either bed. The first
truck got in a fight with a semi and lost. It flipped and rolled a few
times, but the bed stayed on. The second truck has been in service for over
20 years now. Until 2 years ago I would use it to haul 8,000 lb loads of
wheat and soybeans. Finally the elevator took the truck lift out of service
so I had to get me a 2-ton dump truck. We did add plywood on the floor to
prevent leaks. The railings are tongue and groove.

John Hall