[AT] Flat bed trucks

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Mon Nov 22 09:27:51 PST 2010

Had a similar insurance issue with my 72 IH 1310 1 ton dump truck.
Virginia changed the rules and my insurance on this truck doubled.

And, on the flat bed (which my truck used to be before they welded the
sides to the bed 30 years ago... :o), I prefer the flatbed, much easier
to work on and carry stuff.

The only suggestion I have is to either put stake  or fold down sides
that can be removed or locked in the up or down position (VW does this
one their pickups (or at least they used to)).  It will make carrying
stuff a bit easier to carry in general, and can be removed or folded
down if you need the flat area.

(tractor related note, I used to carry a Cletrac AG-6 in the back of
this truck "many" years ago to take it to the local shop for repairs.
If you removed the hitch pin, you could close the tailgate).

Howard