[AT] More on the water pump

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 18 10:18:25 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim & Lyn Evans" <jevans at evanstoys.com>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] More on the water pump

> If everyone is paying attention to this thread, you will see that it is
> the
> same old stuff that goes wrong with the new cars as what went wrong with
> the
> old cars.   If you can fix an old tractor you can fix a new car 90% of the
> time with a little bit of thinking and diagnostic time (and maybe a little
> advise from the internet)

True enough, but the new vehicles are so much harder to work on. Everything
packed in so tight with wiring harnesses, hoses, etc everywhere. I can't
even see the spark plugs on my V6 Blazer (97). Thank God they last a long
time because I don't think I have the technology to change them.
How about fuel pumps? I have changed numerous fuel pumps on older vehicles,
the type that were mounted on the engine running off the cam. . They are
relatively simple and uncomplicated to change in an hour or less . The newer
fuel injected systems (GM I am thinking of) have the fuel pump in the tank.
On the GM pickups this involves unbolting and lifting the entire truck box
to get at the fuel pump! Thats a little ridiculous unless those pumps last
the life of the vehicle. (They don't) I know of one farmer who had a hole
cut in the truck box in the appropriate spot so that next time he needs a
pump replaced it will not be necessary to remove the box.

Ralph in Sask.