[AT] OT: netcook/laptop problems (was Re: Drag line engine ID wanted

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Wed Nov 17 13:14:38 PST 2010

As many of you guys know, I work in the US repair center for Acer/Gateway/eMachines.
Some of the units we get for repair have been to Best Buy, aka Geek Squad for repair
before we get them. These units come in with a variety of complaints from "hard drive
bad" to "motherboard bad", etc. Nine times out of ten, probably more, the problem has
been badly mis-diagnosed by the "Geeks". Usually it turns out to be a simple problem,
much like the touchpad being too sensitive. I don't like touchpads and use a USB mouse
with my laptop. Mine is old enough that FnF7 turns off the touchpad. We used to see
a lot of laptops come in saying the touchpad was inop., and a FnF7 would miraculously
fix it. Of course, since we have outsourced our support line to India we have a lot
of problems that could've been fixed over the phone show up for repair.

Phil

--- mikesloane at verizon.net wrote:

From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] OT: netcook/laptop problems (was Re: Drag line engine ID wanted
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:27:34 -0500

As it happens, this fancy HP laptop (a "Dv7") had a "Best Buy" sticker
on it, and I am left to guess why anyone would discard a $700+ 2 year
old laptop, unless the nice folks at Best Buy told them that it would
cost more to fix the problem than the unit was worth. On this machine,
there is a little button above the touch-pad, and pushing it disables
the touch-pad (a LED changes from white to red next to the button). When
I did that, the keyboard problems all went away! I feel (just a very
little bit) guilty about fixing the problem so easily, but I don't know
the identity of the PO and have little sympathy for them if they were
willing to discard a perfectly good machine without getting a second
opinion as to the problem and how to fix it. This isn't the first
discarded computer I have encountered with a Best Buy sticker on it that
turned out to have only very minor problems that were easily fixed.

I just wish all my tractor related problems were so easily dealt with...

Mike