[AT] More on the water pump - now good local mechanics

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Nov 17 06:28:33 PST 2010

Grant,  If you came to my town and asked around you would find folks that
would say the same thing about some of the shops I've mentioned but here is
the deal.  The shop owners, particularly the dealership shops, are very
skilled at putting on a good show.  The dealer that couldn't fix our AC
problem is one such as that.  Every customer that leaves there is asked if
they are satisfied and ENCOURAGED to say yes.  They are asked to fill out a
customer survey saying they were well taken care of.  Some of them really
think they were but it is because they are gullible and have plenty of
money.  The dealer folks sweet talk them, offer them coffee, smile at them
and rip them off.  I have the "misfortune" I guess of knowing enough about
the work I'm getting done to be able to weed through their BS.  That
particular dealer claims to be the highest ranked Cadillac repair shops in
the state.  A lot of these old retired folks that live here will take a car
in and get a $1000 worth of work done, the problem doesn't go away, they go
back, the dealer says "OH I'm SO SORRY" we will take care of it.  Then they
find the leaking vacuum hose or maybe they find it on the 3rd or 4th try but
the convince customer that that was just something else that was wrong that
they didn't catch when they replaced the 1000 dollar part and by the way
they charge them for every trip.  Then sometimes they do the old "you know,
we can't find your problem.  It's one of those things with these computer
cars but we can offer you a really good trade".   It apparently never occurs
to them that they didn't need the $1000 part and there was nothing really
wrong with their car.

I'm sure that doesn't apply in your case because you would catch on to that
scam but these retired folks around here seldom do.

Remember the old 80's GM cars with the 5.7 liter diesels.  You know they
were famous for blowing head gaskets and the proof that they were blown was
air bubbles coming up into the radiator.  Well a friend of mine that grew up
working in his fathers mechanic shop and then went to work for a dealer told
me that most of them did NOT have a blown head gasket.  He said there was a
hot spot in the water jacket of those cars and if any rust or scale got
built up in the cooling system there wouldn't be enough water flow through
that hot spot.  The water trapped in it would boil and cause bubbles to come
out through the radiator.  He said the dealer would tell the folks those
motors were no good and trade the folks out of their cars, basically giving
nothing for their trade.  Then the guys in the shop would flush the cooling
system and they'd sell those cars to their friends or employees cheap.  I'm
not saying there weren't problems with those motors.  The early ones before
they put the roller tappet cams in them were junk but a lot of them got
traded off or junked when there really wasn't much wrong with them and the
dealers knew it.

Charlie