[AT] Knees

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 16 07:27:33 PST 2010

Charlie & Larry
Glad to hear of your success stories; that is Great.
My situation is scoliosis (curvature of the spine).  This normally occurs
early in life (like my sister).   I experienced this in my 70's.  In a way
I guess I was lucky to not have this situation decades earlier.  Major
surgery is the only option offered today.  That is recommended only when
the pain becomes unbearable or when organs are affected (physically) by the
backbones shifting.  My sister experienced both of above. A few decades ago
when young people first experience this situation, torso braces were
applied for considerably long periods (several years, worn day and night).
This aid was reasonably successful.  I wear a modest brace; my opinion ??
I know of many people who have experienced wonderful results from knee or
hip replacement surgery; that is great.
At my age, I am not interested in an eight to ten hour surgery.  It helped
my sister, but the pain from the cutting of nerves, etc has pretty much
offset the intended benefits of the back surgery.
On the costs, Yes, I certainly agree they are going up.  I will be
diplomatic and not go further on this subject. So, I agree that one
contemplating surgery should not wait until next year.
And, I do appreciate your concerns.
Herb