[AT] Farmall M hydraulics

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Sun Nov 14 06:05:42 PST 2010

I echo what Gene said. I farm full time and use a mixture of modern and
antique equipment (some very antique!) and the tractor couplers on
hydraulics are an item usually neglected to the detriment of proper
operation. I have had to replace o-rings in them on nearly new units when
they have been torn, entire couplers because they "just don't seal/open
right", and perform other just plain odd maintenance. Hydraulics with quick
couplers are unbelievably useful and necessary in today's farming, but also
do require maintenance and frequent inspection. The easiest fix is simply
cleaning the connectors. If don'e regularly it will extend the maintenance
and replacement intervals by immense amounts and save a lot of hassle, time
and money.
     I remember reading in the Oliver manuals I have from the 1940's/1950's
the emphasis they placed there on education of the customer to do exactly
the type of inspections and cleaning noted above to avoid repairs. Still
good advice even on new machinery!
             Grant Brians
             Hollister,California
             Vegetables, Nuts and Fruit farmer