[AT] Snow blower lubrication

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Nov 13 00:16:02 PST 2010

Dick Day wrote:
> Well, my new 72" snow blower is still sitting on the pallet. Once my hand
> gets back into shape, I plan in checking all bolts and nuts, chain tension
> and making sure all fittings are greased.
>
> My question concerns the spot where the chute rests on top of the box.
> There is a big Teflon ring that acts as a spacer between the chute gear and
> the round opening it sits on. The manufacturer is suggesting that we do not
> need to lubricate this since the Teflon ring will keep the two metal
> surfaces from sticking.  They also said that some lubricants will get hard
> in extremely cold weather.
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> As always, thanks for the feedback.
>
> Dick Day

I wouldn't use anything on it for a couple reasons.

Many lubes out there will attack teflon and damage it chemically.
Second, lube will attract and hold dirt/grit. That will also embed into
the teflon and cause damage to the metal by wearing off the paint faster
and causing rust. Then the rust will grind on the teflon.

I am experimenting with some toys on my CC blower. The chute always
wants to stick. When I was in Harbor Freight the other day I noticed
they had captive bearings like you use on lazy susan type items. I
picked up a few and am going to see if they will hold the chute better
and allow it to turn when the blower is running.

--
Steve W.