[AJD] governor - 1953 50 - I screwed up

David Ransom davidhenryransom at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 14:31:29 PST 2010

I screwed up.

Today I tried to put the 1953 50's governor back together.  To make it
easier to clean out the inside of the housing, I removed the "H401R, Lever,
Inside Governor" (the thing that the thrust bearing pushes when the weights
push the thrust bearing).  When I tried to put it back on, I lost one of the
little machine screws, presumably somewhere down inside the crankcase.  I
removed the top crankcase cover and reached around in there, and I drained
the oil, and felt around inside the crankcase some more, and got all oily
but didn't find the screw.

Have any of you ever lost one of these screws like that?  If so, where did
it turn up?

Should I be taking off the cylinder block, the governor housing, or
something else to look for it?