[AT] Thoughts on small combines, other harvest machinery and where it takes us (continued)

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sat Nov 6 12:08:40 PDT 2010

    I remember as a lad, our father bought an old Allis Chalmers combine
from the neighbors. Would have been about 1948 or 1949 and the neighbors had
used the combine for several years and even doing custom combining for our
dad in the oats. I still don't know the model of the combine, but preceded
the 60 All Crop series by several years. The machine used only 1 grain
elevator and when the bin was full, to dump, there was a chute that was
raised up and positioned out ovrt the wagon and then a gate in the bottom of
the bin was opened allowing the grain to offload into a wagon. The chute
could also be used in this position with the bottom gate closed to fill
bags. I have only seen one picture of this combine many years ago, so don't
recall the model.

    As you state, the combine was a left hand cut and dad would run it with
our Allis WC and later with the Farmall H. Our brother-inlaw at the time had
a Farmall BN and an International 42 combine. He helped us combine oats one
year. International with right hand cut and AC with left hand cut. Took a
little timing to try to cross at the corners of the field as going in
opposite directions. I remember I was a small boy and spent all day riding
on the left axle housing of the BN. One of those times that are not
forgotten.

                Gene