[AT] Thoughts on small combines, other harvest machinery and where it takes us (continued)

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 05:43:25 PDT 2010

Dad's older owners manual had a power unit (Motor from a C I think) and
the PTO as an option.  I think there was also a picture of the bagging
platform, but it's been a LONG time.  The wheels aren't duals, there is
a 2nd axle stub just in front or behind of the original and the 2nd
wheel tracks offset both to the side and fore/aft of the main wheel.
Duals would still drop into a ditch or cultivator ridge, the tandems
were almost like having a 2' track on each side, one would carry the
other over a small gully.  No suspension of course.

Remember, the reel was ground driven from the wheel under the grain
tank, so I'm not sure duals would work under that side.  One problem
with the tandem wheel was you were tempted to step on the tire to look
into the grain tank.  But, if that tire wasn't touching the ground where
parked, it would spin and dump you on your butt.

The book did show a pickup attachment.  I think I saw one in a heap at
an auction once, but it would have been hard to tell what it looked like
originally.  The old AC dealer in Columbia, MO had one a few years ago
that had an auger style pickup, I don't think it had a canvas at all,
and would have been a lot wider.

Our older one had bushing  wheels, I don't know if the one with tandem's
would have bearings or bushings, probably OK for a short pickup pull,
but probably not cross country.