[AT] Thoughts on small combines, other harvest machinery and where it takes us (continued)

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Fri Nov 5 04:33:17 PDT 2010

I hope to get one of my AC All-Crop 60's back operational. With our very
small scale seed production, we have so far not even needed a combine, but I
can see that changing in the near future. I have never operated a self
propelled combine, actually never even cut grain with one. What I have done
is operated the AC60 for hand feed applications. Hmm, why would someone take
that seeming inefficient route for threshing? I have only done vegetable
seed production and most types of vegetable seed production require the
extra step of cutting and windrowing the plants for drying or the seed will
end up on the ground before harvest.
     A moderately common sight here in years past was the flower seed
harvest. Usually the companies would go through with a two bed vacuum and
literally suck up the seed off the top of the plants (or maybe it would be
out of the top?) to not lose much of the seed. We currently produce
somewhere around 300 or 400 pounds of seed so the hand methods are still
cheaper than machines, but I can see that increasing dramatically
eventually.
     All of this said, I sure can understand the appeal of owning and
operating an old SMALL combine for the satisfaction of performing that
harvest yourself. Our "new" 1950's walnut harvester and sweeper arrived
yesterday here at the ranch and I am looking forward to getting this
equipment refurbished and doing custom harvesting this next fall. They are
crude machines by todays standards, but they not only work but they are
totally effective when correctly maintained and operated.
     One thing I see happening around here as in most parts of the country
is the gap between the older people who KNOW how to perform so many
equipment operation and other tasks and the younger ones who either have
been steered away from the knowledge or never took the opportunity to learn.
That was a characteristic that I have never understood. When I was younger I
started doing something that I hope I never lose - seeking out those with
potentially interesting knowledge or skills and asking them to let me learn
from them.
     Maybe rekindling that spark is the real benefit and goal of taking
machines to the antique farm equipment shows that we so enjoy?
             Grant Brians
             Hollister,California
             Vegetable, Nuts and Fruit farmer